Size of community
User interface quality
Cost and support
– eHarmony was launched in 2008 after carrying out research in 2007 on the science of compatibility in conjunction with the University of Oxford
– 3.7 million members today
– 1:1 female to male ratio
– 72,000 long term relationships credited to eHarmony since its launch
eHarmony asks you to complete a questionnaire when you sign up. After completing this, a “Book of You” is produced which is yours to keep and completely free. It is an e-book that is personalised and well-illustrated, detailing your strengths and weaknesses. The Compatibility Matching System uses your responses to the questions to hand-pick and introduce you to singles that are compatible with you. You save a lot of time and energy as the website ensures you are only presented with people that meet your needs and expectations.
As the website is international, it is possible to meet people from all around the world which is a great advantage as true love isn’t always found right round the corner… There is a mobile app available to all iPhone, iPad and Android users so you can find your perfect match on-the-go!
eHarmony promises total privacy, trust and security. Unlike other dating websites, members can only view profiles of people suggested to them so discretion is maintained. There is a huge wealth of information such as the latest expert advice available on eHarmony’s advice site and social media to give you the best shot at finding that special someone.
The simplicity of the interface
The interface is very easy to use. It’s well-designed, imaginative and colourful.
There are many different ways of expressing interest in someone who catches your attention. You can start off by “sending a smile” then graduate to “Quick Questions”, “Makes or Breaks”, “Dig Deeper” or, of course, direct messaging! These features are part of eHarmony’s Guided Communication, which is especially useful for people who are shy or find it difficult to break the ice.
It is free to sign-up, complete the personality test and review matches. The following are the prices for basic plan:
• 12 month subscription: £9.95 per month
• 6 month subscription: £16.95 per month
• 3 month subscription: £21.95 per month
TotalConnect is eHarmony’s premium service. You can benefit from, for example, more questions in the personality test and voice calling without revealing your number, for a slightly higher cost.
• 12 month subscription: £11.95 per month
• 6 month subscription: £17.95 per month
• 3 month subscription: £22.95 per month
Below is a TV ad for eHarmony, showing why eHarmony is different from other dating websites:
• 1:1 male to female ratio
• Colourful and well designed interface
• Free to sign up and complete the personality test
• App available for iPhone, iPad or Android users
• A free e-book called the “Book of You” to help you learn more about yourself
• Quick and easy as eHarmony selects compatible people for you
• You cannot browse the site to find matches on your own. You can only choose from the suggestions offered by eHarmony.
• Lengthy sign-up questionnaire (approximately half an hour)